Okay, so here’s what you need to know about the DeX Pad.
Connection Ports: 2x USB-A 2.0, 1xHDMI, 1xUSB-C Charging
Display Outputs: 1600 x 900 (HD+), 1920 x 1080 FHD, 2560 x 1440 QHD
Power: 9.0v x 1.67A
Compatibility: Galaxy S8, S8+, S8 Active, Note 8, S9, S9+
Cost: $197 NZ RRP
– Does a great job of turning a mobile device into a desktop device with the appropriate add-ins
– Phone screen can be used as touch pad on DeX Desktop
– Surprising level of compatibility with existing mobile-oriented apps
– Samsung containers (e.g. Game Centre) provide additional, high value functionality to DeX and are easy to configure
– Seamless transition between “mobile” and “desktop” scenarios
– Power delivery is not sufficient for tested RGB keyboards (Logitech PRO) without use of additional powered USB hub
– Sound output to monitor didn’t work for me, but I had no problem with Bluetooth or headphones
– No Ethernet connection in DeX unit, but could be added via USB.
I was pleasantly surprised by the versatility, ease of use, and outright functionality of the DeX Pad. whilst I got plenty of use out of my S8 anyway, this has added a few extra layers of “hey, I could do this on my phone now!” to a lot of the day-to-day uses of technology that I have.
At the end of the day, I’ll say this for the DeX Pad – I liked it enough to put my money where my mouth is and went and bought one.
– 8.2 / 10